Employers! Veterans! Here’s your Top 10 Job News Stories of the Week Compiled from the Latest Sources
We encourage you to browse our list so that you can take what you want and keep what you need…..
- Dominguez, Henderson to Lead “Pivotal” Task Force. The former chair of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the chief diversity officer for Weyerhaeuser are the co-leaders of a task force responsible for creating measurable diversity and inclusion standards.
- Best Companies for Leadership. Now in its sixth year, the Best Companies for Leadership study has a simple, single-minded purpose: to identify which organizations have the best leadership practices, then see what we can learn from them.
- 2011 Diversity Council Honors Award. The Association of Diversity Councils released the list of the Top 25 U.S. diversity councils to be recognized and honored and their rankings revealed at the 2011 Diversity Council Honors Award Dinner and Ceremony in April.
- OPM Launches Online University for Human Resources Managers. A new Web site offers courses and career development resources across government for a price.
- OPM ROWE Pilot Update. OPM has extended the Results-Only Work Environment (ROWE) pilot through FY2011 and is working to better align performance standards with the principles of operating in a ROWE (i.e., managing to results).
- Turnover Lower for Organizations with an Established Flexibility Culture. The higher an organization rates itself on flexibility offerings, policies, and impacts, the lower the organization’s voluntary turnover rate, according to a report released by WorldatWork.
- Engaging a Multi-Generational Workforce: Practical Advice for Government Managers. Concrete advice on how to communicate well with employees from different generations can be hard to find. The IBM Center for the Business of Government released a report attempting to fill that knowledge gap.
- What Do Your Gen Y Employees Really Want? Recent research sponsored by Northrop Grumman, No. 47 on the 2010 DiversityInc Top 50 Companies for Diversity survey, gives us a look at what younger employees want.
- How to Grow Young Feds at Your Agency. Given all the pressures on the Federal workforce, agencies will soon have to do more to keep younger employees on board.
- How to Eliminate Your Company’s Promotion Gaps. How are major companies solving the inequities that cause retention and promotion gaps for underrepresented groups?
IN OTHER NEWS
- Provide Skills to Prevent Workplace Bullying. People in positions of power tend to bully others because of feelings of inadequacy, suggests a study released in 2009 by the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of Southern California.
- “Niceness” Partly Genetic, Say Scientists. A study, published in Biology Letters, adds to a growing body of research suggesting that the drivers of human behavior are found, more than previously suspected, in “nature” rather than “nurture.”
- 4 Ways to Detect if your Performance-Based Culture is More than Lip Service. An organization cannot claim to have a performance-based culture until the philosophy, processes, tactical execution, and comprehension of what it means be one becomes inherent within every employee.
- Is Wellness Working? Changing someone’s lifestyle requires changing their attitudes and motivating new habits and behaviors that can be sustained long-term. How do employers expect to do it?
- Counting by Race Can Throw Off Some Numbers. The chameleon-like quality of some individual’s racial and ethnic identification might seem trivial except that statistics on ethnicity and race are used for many important purposes.
- Ethics and Employee Engagement. Results of the National Business Ethics Survey show that employees’ perceptions of company ethics impact their overall engagement: Strong scores on ethical culture indices were associated with higher engagement levels.
- The Impact of Leader Behavior on Employee Health: Lessons for Leadership Development. Research once again has confirmed what we’ve always suspected—your boss can cause you stress, induce depression and anxiety, or even trigger the onset of serious illness.
- Putting the R in ERG—Three Big Reasons LGBT Affinity Groups are Strategically Important. Here’s why LGBT employee resource groups (ERGs) can and should be strategically important to a company.
- Ending “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” Doesn’t End Problems Facing Gay Service Members. Gay rights leaders said they are preparing for several more years of work to ensure gay troops and those kicked out for violating the ban earn the same rights and protections afforded to straight colleagues.
- The Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Effexor, Valium, Klonopin, Ativan, Restoril, Xanax, Adderall, Ritalin, Haldol, Risperdal, Seroquel, Ambien, Lunesta, Elavil, Trazodone War. As it approaches its tenth year, our nation’s longest war is showing signs of waning. Meanwhile, our soldiers are falling apart.