Veterans Outreach Programs
Jobs for Veterans at U.S. Customs and Border Protection
by Gordon Gates
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is committed to recruiting and employing qualified veterans, and they actively recruit eligible veterans for suitable jobs. They value the experience, commitment and work ethic that veterans bring to the job, as well as their significant skills and abilities. CBP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To expand their reach, CBP has joined HireVeterans.com, the leading job board for U.S. Veterans.
Currently, veterans make up a significant portion of two of CBP Mission Critical Occupations – Border Patrol Agent (BPA) and Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBPO) – and 23% of our entire workforce.
They are proud to provide opportunities to those who wish to serve their country a second time.
Let them help you…
They want to help you understand and use veterans’ preference and other hiring flexibilities that are available to you.
Below you will find links to general information about veterans’ employment with the Federal Government, as well as three appointing authorities: the 30% or more disabled veteran appointing authority; the Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) appointing authority, and the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA).
CBP offers the full range of Federal benefits to new employees:
* Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
* Social Security
* FERS basic annuity
Health Insurance Programs
* Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program
* Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP)
* Federal Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFEDS)
* Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP)
* Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI)
* Basic Employee Death Benefit (BEDB) for FERS Employees
* SAMBA Employee Benevolent Fund
* Personal leave days for vacation, family care, and illness
* Paid training
* Ten paid holidays per year
* Transportation subsidy
* Employee assistance program
Other benefits that may be available:
* Tuition assistance
* Flexible work schedule
* Fitness centers
* Student loan repayment
* Law Enforcement Retirement Benefits for certain occupations